Griffon regularly produces 35-50 composite aircraft per month under active contracts. By managing a “cell manufacturing” method similar to assembly line factories, we are able to realize very high quality production efforts with a relatively small team of skilled technicians. Under the ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D QMS, Griffon maintains extremely low loss rate after nearly two decades of UAS manufacturing.
Griffon has a long history of producing advanced composite structures. Griffon can offer the following services, equipment, and facilities for our advanced composite customers:
- Layup Rooms: two isolated and fully climate controlled rooms for composite layup
- Room 1: 20’ x 30’
- Room 2: 24’ x 48’
- Ovens: two high temperature (up to 360° F) curing ovens:
- Medium: 6.5’ x 6.5’ x 24’ for routine production and prototype parts
- Large: 12’ x 12’ x 34’ clam-shell oven for very large composite parts
- Autoclaves: Access to autoclaves for products that require high temperature plus high pressure cure cycles
- Laser Projection System: Extremely precise composite ply positioning
- Laser Tracking System: Precise coordinate measuring of components
- Non-destructive Inspection: Laminate testing via Thermographic cameras and Ultrasonic instruments
- 3D Scanner: Allows rapid computer reproduction of physical components
- Freezer: Large 0° F freezer for storage of sensitive composite materials
Griffon has extensive experience producing high quality composite tooling. Previous projects include: custom monocoque race car chassis, general aviation components, military aircraft mockups, launch vehicle components, corrugated noise isolation panels for space applications, composite cryogenic pressure tanks, and reproduction of legacy military RPVT components.
Griffon can provide either “prototype” or “production” tooling molds based on the production volume needs of our customers. Prototype tools are made from materials such as MDF, high density foam, and other plastics. These tools are used for low production numbers and offer a great economical solution for prototype composite manufacturing. Production tools are built to produce hundreds of composite parts with very little maintenance. This is a great solution for customers that have long term production needs.
Griffon uses a group of CNC machines to produce our own production aircraft components as well as complex master tools for composite layup. Our machining equipment includes:
- Thermwood 5-axis CNC Milling Machine with 8 station tool changer
working envelope = 3’ x 10’ x 20’
- HAAS 3-axis CNC Milling Machine with 20 station tool changer
working envelope = 50” x 20” x 25”
- Techno Isel 3- axis CNC router
- Professional 3D modeling and machine coding software suite